I'm a Mormon.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Birthday Blessings!

This year I turned 39, the last year in my thirties!  It was another blessed and beautiful birthday!  My students made me feel like a queen.  Brieanna had balloons and cake for me.

My desk filled up with gifts!
Kawena got me roses, Mom, Dad, and Kama gave me balloons and beautiful flowers.  Haaheo made me a full sheet of cake, 48 cupcakes for the class.  Kushaia got me a cake and Mikaela made me a huge cupcake!  Period 3 sang Happy Birthday and we celebrated in all periods together.

Period 3 singing "Happy Birthday"
It was a beautiful and blessed day.  My own kids said, "Wow, Mom, your students really love you.  We donʻt see other teachers getting stuff like that on their birthday!"  That sure made me feel good!  I try my best everyday to let my students know that I love them.  Just as I do with my own children.

Haʻaheo Kekona, one of my punahele.
Cake from Kushaia!
Llewellyn took me out for my birthday dinner.  We decided this year to go to the Waterfront restaurant in Maʻalaea.  It was fabulous!  Our table overlooked the harbor and ocean.  The moon was out and the sky filled with stars.  It was so beautiful!

We had a fabulous dinner that started off with pan fried oysters and Japanese clams for appetizers.
We then had caesar salad made table side. Waterfront is the only restaurant in Hawaiʻi that still makes your
Filet Mignon and Lobster Tail
caesar salad table side.  For the main course I had filet mignon and lobster tail and Llewellyn had the Rib Eye steak.  We topped it all off with an incredible chocolate souffle dessert.  We were so full after eating that meal, but we savored every bite!
The atmosphere, food, view, and service made it a relaxing and enjoyable evening.  The best part was that I had the hottest date in the house!

Saturday morning I went to hula and was surprised yet again!  The ladies had a birthday cake, candles, gifts, and leis to share with me!  I was totally shocked!  Haʻaheo then surprised me with the most beautiful gift - a Polynesian style bracelet with all four of my childrenʻs names on it, praying hands, and ipu heke!  I have wanted one of these for so long!  It was even my favorite color - PURPLE!  I couldnʻt believe how well she knew me, she picked the things that are the dearest to me - my children, my faith, my hula.

When I opened my birthday card, though, I couldnʻt hold back the tears.  My beautiful haumāna had collected funds to purchase a new ipu heke for their kumu!  So blessed!  I contacted Kalim as soon as papa hula was over and ordered my new ipu heke!

My beautiful Cheryle!  Papa ʻŌhiʻa Lehua

This birthday I have been reminded that when you give love, you get love.  I am surrounded by people who love me for who I am.  For that, I am eternally grateful!


No comments:

Post a Comment