I'm a Mormon.

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Fall Adventures - Exploring Puunene


Every Fall Intersession I try to plan fun, mostly free activities for the kids and I to do.  Itʻs a great opportunity to explore our beautiful island of Maui and go on adventures together!  This year we started our adventure in the old town of Puʻunēnē.  I couldnʻt believe that my kids didnʻt know where Puʻunēnē was. So, we started there.


I took them to the old Puʻunēnē School which was built in 1922.  It is now used as an annex for the Department of Education, but when the town was at itʻs peak some 1000 students attended this school.


Tucked away behind the Sugar Mill off one of the dirt roads youʻll find the Maui Friends of the Library.  A great place to buy used books for .25 cents.  All the books are donated and they even have freebies outside!  The kids loved it!  We will be donating a bunch of our books for sure!


Our visit tot he Sugar Museum was quite delightful.  I love history and old photos, so I really enjoyed my time at the museum.  The kids enjoyed themselves,too, though.  They had a great stamp system set up so the kids could stamp their passports at every exhibit.  Since they all attend or attended Pāʻia School, they enjoyed seeing old pictures of Pāʻia School and the Sugar Mill.  After our visit we sat outside on the picnic tables and read our new used books!

By the end of the day I was pooped!  The kids fell asleep on the way home in the car!

No comments:

Post a Comment