I'm a Mormon.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Blessings in Trials

Summer has come and gone.  It was a great 8 weeks off with my children and family.  We enjoyed every minute of summer.  As summer came to a close I found myself in a very scary predicament - JOBLESS.  My contract ended at Kalama Intermediate on July 24th.  I had applied for several different positions at Kamehameha Schools and in the Department of Education, but I did not get any of the jobs.  I even applied outside of the teaching field, but to no avail!  Talk about disappointment and depression!  I began to question everything and wondering what I was doing wrong.  I worried about our income, paying bills, not having medical and dental.  Through it all I was constantly reminded through prayer and counsel from family and friends to TRUST IN THE LORD.  To let go and let God place me where I needed to be.  But it wasnʻt easy.  The bills kept coming, we kept falling farther and farther behind and it created so much stress in our home.  We made lots of changes, moved in with my parents and downsized our budget dramatically.  With every change we made, Heavenly Father provided an answer to prayer both temporally and spiritually.  We got a van for $1100 and no longer had a $400 monthly car payment.  Plus, we could fit everyone!  Mom and Dad made a huge sacrifice and moved their bedroom downstairs so we could have all three bedrooms upstairs.  The kids qualified for 100% full medical coverage.  Then, out of the blue, a friend of mine called and said she would be leaving her teaching position at Baldwin and moving off island.  She asked me to apply for the Hawaiian language and hula position.  On August 1st I started my new job!

So letʻs look back at the events that took place and see how God was there through it all.  I didnʻt fail those job interviews, instead, the Lord closed those doors because He knew He had something even better planned for me.  My new job is a 5 minute drive from home.  I am at school with Kamalei, Kamaehu, Lamakū, Kaleohano, Knyte and Ruby - my kids!  I can help them immediately when they need it.  My classroom is a safe zone for any and all students.  The students choose to hang out in my room, have lunch, socialize, sing, play music, etc.  When Jayvaughn passed away, I was here on campus and able to help my own children as well as the students who mourned his passing.  When Lamakū got very ill with his diabetes and not allowed to leave the classroom, I was here to help him, get him the medical attention he needed and ensure that an incident like that would never happen again.  I have been able to get Kamalei qualified for additional academic services he has needed.  I can easily check in with teachers to check on their progress.  I am saving over $200 a month on gas.  I am teaching in a field that I love and feel most confident in.  I have a full block (70 minutes) of prep time.  The list goes on and on.  These are just some of the blessings.  The countless more that I cannot even recall.  The point is this - GODʻS PLAN IS ALWAYS BIGGER AND BETTER THAN ANY PLAN WE CAN MAKE.  We just have to have enough faith and patience to allow His plan to work in our lives.  I am so grateful for this trial.  I am thankful that through trials I am able to grow closer to my Heavenly Father and our family grows closer as well.  I am thankful that I now have a new found compassion for others who are or will be placed in the same situation and by sharing my experience, I can give them hope.

With God, all things are possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment